Shannon is a longtime friend and excellent cook. She taught us how to make these incredible breakfast treats when we visited her in Colorado in 2017. These little cups are extremely versatile. If you are having a fancy breakfast, they really fill the bill and you will get lots of comments. Kids and grandkids also love them. They take a little time to make, but they are worth the trouble.
You can prepare these ahead of time and put them in the fridge for up to three days. To serve, pop two of them in the microwave for one minute. You can also freeze them but defrosting becomes an issue. The easiest method is take them from the freezer and put into the fridge the day before you need them.
Servings: 12 servings of 2 cups (24 cups total)
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup onion – diced finely
- 1/2 cup green pepper – diced finely
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup of white button mushrooms – sliced
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk,
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese,
- 1/2 cup scallions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Muffin tin
- 24 Muffin cup liners
- Put the liners in the muffin tin and spray the insides of the liners with Pam or rub with olive oil.
- Sauté onion, pepper and mushrooms in olive oil; about 4 minutes.
- Add sausage, salt and pepper and cook until done; set aside to cool.
- Whisk together eggs, milk cheese and scallions.
- Combine meat and eggs mixtures and ladle into muffin cups. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Let the tin warm to room temperature while the oven is preheating.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool, remove liner and serve. Add a dollop of sour cream if you wish.