You can now get frozen packages of calamari, already cut and ready to cook. Over cocktails, a slightly goofy friend of mine (shown above) and I started experimenting to come up with a calamari dish that is similar to what you would find in restaurants, but without the deep frying. Deep frying at home is a pain in the you-know-what. The following recipe seemed to work very well and it is easy to do.
– 2 Tbs. Olive oil
– cloves of garlic, chopped fine
– 8 oz. cut calamari, rinsed and dried with paper towel
– ¼ Tsp. crushed red pepper
– 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Heat the olive oil, pepper and garlic over medium heat until the latter turns slightly golden.
- Add the calamari and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the calamari with a slotted spoon and throw onto a paper towel for just a second. You are trying to remove most but not all of the oil.
- Put the calamari into a mixing bowl and toss with the breadcrumbs.
This is a great light appetizer best served in small bowls. It goes great with a cold Sauvignon Blanc. Try it and let me know what you think.
Categories: Classic Appetizers, Classic Italian Dishes, Classic Recipes by Type
Leave a Reply