This recipe comes from a good friend, Priscilla Nei. I am not sure where she got it, but it is really great. As you can see below, the condensed milk and coconut cream are “infused” into the cake. This makes the final product incredibly moist. Whenever I make this cake, people literally fight over the last pieces.
I wish I could say that this is a really healthy creation, but I think “indulgent” is a better word. After calculating the total calories of one whole cake and dividing that by 16 slices, I decided that it is not prudent to communicate the numbers to my readers. Best that you try this great recipe and see if you even care about calories.
I like to make this as a layer cake, but you can also make it as a sheet cake in rectangular pan.
- Duncan Hines Yellow Cake mix (You can use another variety if you wish, but this is my preferred brand.)
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz. Coconut Cream (This is generally available in the liquor section of your supermarket.The most common brand is Real Cream of Coconut. It is also available on Amazon.)
- 6 oz. Sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz. Original Cool Whip
- 6 oz. shredded coconut
Two 8 or 9 inch round baking pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the cake batter per the instructions on the box.
- Separate the batter equally between the two baking pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes and check with toothpick for doneness
- Let cool completely.
- Line the edge of the cake plate with four overlapping pieces of waxed paper – try to cut pieces about 8” wide.
- Carefully remove one of the cakes from the pan, and place on cake plate.
- Punch multiple holes in cake with a toothpick. You can’t have too many holes.
- Mix Coconut Cream and condensed milk. Spread one-half on top of first cake layer with spatula. Make sure liquid does not run off the sides. In about two minutes, it will all seep into the toothpick holes.
- Spread a layer of Cool Whip on top of the cake and sprinkle about 1/3 of the shredded coconut on top,
- Remove second layer from pan and place on top of first layer. Punch holes and spread coconut cream/condensed milk mixture as above.
- Ice entire cake with Cool Whip and sprinkle remaining shredded coconut on top and sides.
- Carefully remove wax paper.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.